Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Chevron Night Stand

Chevron Night Stand



Did ya think I forgot about you? Nah, it's just with the start of a new school year, a new work assignment, and a new basset hound puppy...I've been a super busy mom lately. Too busy to "blog" that's for sure! 

I made some time over the weekend to pick up my paint brush and finally tackled this mid-century single drawer bookcase. I bought it for $15 at an auction a few weeks ago. It rained like cats and dogs the day of the sale so all of the furniture just got soaked:( The piece didn't have a lot of curb appeal but it was made of solid wood...had shelves for open storage...and was the perfect height for a nightstand or console table. Score!


I pondered long and hard as to what color I should paint it. I finally opted to go with Annie Sloan's 'Old White' Chalk Paint for two simple reasons:


#1) I'm planning to make an upholstered headboard for our bed at the cabin and the white will go with any fabric I choose.

#2) I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to use these faux alabaster knobs I picked up this summer.


I wasn't sure if I wanted to paint the whole piece or stain some of the wood. I even thought about lining the shelves with fabric. Then it dawned on me that I could stain a chevron pattern on the drawer. And at that very moment this is the sound I heard in my head...

*#@#*Allelujah...Allelujah*#@#*

I didn't have a stencil so I just taped off a chevron pattern using Frog tape. Then I applied a combination of Dark Walnut and Special Walnut stains. It took a couple tries to get the contrast and depth of color I was searching for but I finally got it to work.



The chevron pattern added just the right amount of 'BAM' to this piece. Don't ya think?


Here's the final product.


I Love It!!!


Can you imagine it next to an upholstered head board??? Me, too!

Happy-Happy-Happy...















Hey, did you notice the burlap box? I got my inspiration from one I spied at Hobby Lobby a couple weeks ago. It was super easy to reduplicate and a lot less expensive. I just found an old shoebox with a lid, some left over burlap, and adhesive spray. I'm telling ya...burlap adds a lot of bang for your buck. It's very inexpensive and is a great way to add texture to a room.


I simply followed the direction on the can of adhesive spray...


 and wrapped fabric around the box as if I were wrapping a present. 


Speaking of presents, I think I may have to make a few more of these burlap boxes 
to wrap Christmas gifts...??? There's that sound again (*#@#*allelujah*#@#*).

Burlap Covered Shoebox

The orb? It was another Pinterest project. Orbs are actually pretty popular right now. They're just a simple way to add an architectural element to your room. I actually bought a couple metal ones before I saw a Pinterest post showing orbs made from wooden embroidery hoops. I now have a collection of various sizes in my basement;) When my husband saw me making them he shook his head and gave me that "look". I just said, "Don't ask." He rolled his eyes and walked away. LOL!

Embroidery Hoop Orb

Thanks for reading everyone! I hope you all have a fun and safe Labor Day weekend!!!

~Wendy

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy