Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Magnetic Chalkboard Clock

I have wanted this magnetic chalkboard clock by Pottery Barn for a long time but "I want" a lot of things. I can't justify spending that much money on a clock so I decided to make one of my own.

I started with a metal sign I picked up on clearance at Hobby Lobby. 


I gave it three or four coats of Rustoleum Chalk Paint. 


Then I "seasoned" the chalkboard by completely covering it with chalk. 


Note:  If you skip this step 
you run the risk of leaving an impression 
of the first message you write on your board. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At first I thought I would purchase a clock kit and just draw the numbers on with chalk. Fun...right? I experimented with several different lengths and styles of clock hands but it wasn't what I wanted. The piece needed more depth/dimension. I considered adding a piece of metal or wood on front, but couldn't seem to ever find exactly what I wanted. Eventually I decided to scrap the whole kit idea and just add a clock to chalkboard. 

I looked at Walmart for a clock. 

I looked at Target. 

I looked at Hobby Lobby, Menards, the Goodwill, antique stores, and online. 

You'll never guess where I finally found the perfect clock?  

In our barn!!! 

I went down there to ask my husband a question the other night and ALLELIUA...I saw it!!! Don was so dumb-founded that I wanted it he didn't put up much of a fight. Just said, "You're taking my clock? Seriously?".

Here's a pic of the final product:


What'cha think?


I love it!


I love its grand size!
The clock is about 30 inches in diameter.


I love it's purpose!
(I'm rarely on time and definitely a list girl.)


But most of all...


I love the modern and whimsical element
the clock adds to our otherwise traditional sunroom!


Yeah!


As always thanks for taking the time to read 13CCF. I hope you've found some inspiration to get creative. This was an easy, inexpensive project, that will make a big statement in any space.

~Wendy





1 comment:

  1. cool!!! but it took you 15 minutes to take pictures and move it around!!!!!! and how is Don going to know when it is time to eat dinner he doesnt have a clock!! seriously you are so creative i love it.
    judy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy