Friday, November 15, 2013

Church Pew in GRAPHITE (PART I)

I have several benches in my home. Most of them could all use a little TLC so I've decided to do a 3-part makeover series starting with this church pew. I bought it several years ago at an auction. I think I paid $35 dollars for it. I'm sure the price had to do with its size. The pew was 8 to 10 foot long when I purchased it. Most people just don't have a space big enough for a bench that big....including myself so I had to think out of the box.


My solution? I simply had my husband cut it down. Yeah...it was that easy. Go figure?!? He cut the pew in half, used a mallet to pop off the end, and then pounded the shortened seat back into the grooves of the end cap. It didn't fit perfect but pretty darn close;)


I loved the aged wood of the pew and kept its natural patina all these years...until this week when I decided to paint the piece with Graphite chalk paint. Why Graphite? I wanted something to carry the deep blue of the tufted ottoman to other parts of the room. Why now? I'm a symmetry and balance girl. The room wasn't in sync anymore. I'm serious! If you ever find yourself trying to pull a room together just think about symmetry and balance. For me it's all about the juxtaposition of the 5 repeating elements:  wood, metal, glass, color, and texture. 

Enough preaching....


  here's the piece refinished with Annie Sloan's Graphite Chalk Paint and Clear Wax.



Well, whatcha think? 


I love it....but then I always say that.


Lol! It's true though.


I wanted the church pew to maintain its aged appearance... 


so I let the wood grain show through as much as possible. 


Yeah, it was probably the best 35 dollars I've spent;)


 Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully next week I'll have another bench to show you!

~Wendy







1 comment:

  1. This is exactly the look I'm wanting for a very similar piece. How did you apply the graphite? Dry brush? Wash? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy