Saturday, November 2, 2013

Demi-Lune Double Swing-Leg Table in GRAPHITE


My sister, Deanna, and her family spent this past week visiting from Colorado. It was a full week of late nights, pumpkin carving, and Halloween candy. We enjoyed meals of pheasant, spoonbill, cheesecake, and homemade soups plus a trip to Lincoln to celebrate our niece Abby's 15th birthday. Somehow we managed to find the time to work on my sister's antique demi-lune double swing-leg table, too.


The piece has actually been sitting in my garage since late August when my parents transported it to Nebraska. The table has sentimental value as it belonged to Skuli and Effi, my brother-in-law’s Icelandic grandparents. It was made of a beautiful hard wood...possibly mahogany or walnut. The inset brass hinges suggest the table was once a high end piece of furniture. I wish I would have taken a picture of it with the table top opened to a full circle! (Probably too much sugar in my system to think straight.) Oh well, if you can't envision it here's an example of what it looked like with the swing-leg extended.


After years of use the table's wobbly legs were willed back to life with glue and screws and the top moon-shaped leaf had become noticeably warped. It was unusable in its current state so we made the decision to remove the warped portion and give the piece new life with Annie Sloan Paint and Waxes.

Here is an image of the final product. 


My sister chose to paint the piece with Graphite chalk paint.

 

We purposely top coated with clear wax ONLY in order to maintain the smokey grey hue and steer away from the midnight black shade you create when applying dark wax to Graphite.


I'm absolutely smitten with the color. What do you think???


The Graphite's darker hue probably helped to hide some of the table's imperfections. 


My sister plans to use the table in their music room. 


We both think an over-sized mirror like the
Eagan Multipanel Mirror by Pottery Barn 
would go great with the piece.


Hopefully I can talk her into letting me post a picture
once she gets it back to Colorado.


I'm sure it'll be beautiful!

~Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy