Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Slip Covered Ottoman

Lately my dad has been "threatening" to bring a recliner to the cabin. I decided to appease him by bringing an ottoman to the river. A few years ago I bought one for a dollar at a local garage sale. The fabric was stained and dated but the piece was structurally sound. I removed all of the icky fabric, Lysol'd the heck out of it, and covered the base with fresh material.


Then I added casters to the bottom of the ottoman. 
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to use casters 
on all of my ottomans, coffee tables, and side tables.


I sewed a white canvas slip cover for it 
and used the piece in our basement for several years.

Our furniture at the cabin is red.
I decided to update the ottoman with a denim slip cover.
I had plenty scrap material left over from previous sewing projects 
so I didn't have to buy anything. 
Sweet!


Now I'm not a seamstress mind you. 
I couldn't read a pattern to save my life but I can sew a straight stitch.  
I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but here's how "I" put my slip cover together.


***turn the fabric inside out***


***sew the base and finish the edges***


***sew cording around the base leaving a room to attach the skirt***


***create a ruffled skirt by zig-zagging over a piece of string***


***pull the string/cinch up the fabric***


***attach the skirt to the base***


Here's the final product:


What'cha think?


I love it...


especially the patterned top.
It just adds a little more texture to the room.


Grandpa Shorty will be happy to have a place to put his feet up
and I won't have to deal with a mauve recliner.
It's a win-win for everyone!


As always thanks for reading 13CCF. I hope you've found some inspiration!

~Wendy









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy