Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Chicken Wire Lamp

What's your design style? Our house is basically mixture of styles. The exterior of our home is a traditional ranch style (low profile, big windows, etc.). The basement pretty much looks like a log cabin (stone fireplace, pine siding, etc.) and the main floor has that "modern farmhouse" appeal.

It's definitely NOT country (i.e. decorated with wallpaper boarders, apples, quilts, and wooden cut-outs) and it's NOT French country (i.e. decorated with ornate furniture, vibrant wall colors, patterned fabrics such as toile, gingham checks, stripes, and whimsical folk art). The modern farmhouse design is simply more... modern. It's basically a balanced hodgepodge of traditional and antique furnishings paired with white walls, a mixture of open, wood, painted, and glass cabinetry, and a lot of rescued junk. Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Why the big explanation? Because today I'm going to show a lamp I made out of chicken wire for my daughter's bedroom. Chicken Wire? Yes, and don't cringe! I absolutely love it. I admit it sounds corny country but it's not. Trust me.

To make the lamp I started with:  a roll of chicken wire; some 22 gauge wire; a hanging light kit I purchased online; a couple of large embroidery hoops I found in my "someday storage room"; and a pair of wire cutters. I threw everything on the floor of my parents' house Saturday night and put it together while dad and I watched the Husker's play MSU. It took me about 3 hours to make but ONLY because I was so distracted watching the football game. (GOOO BIGGGGGG REDDDDDDDDDDDDD!)


Here's the finished product:


*****


 *****


*****


Well, what'cha think?


I absolutely LOVE it and my daughter does, too!


See, it's not too country!
Surrounded by the right furnishings
chicken wire will add a very modern element to any room.


I could have easily used a pre-made wire basket for this project. 
That route would have been much easier than 
snipping all those little wires
but I opted against it. 


I really wanted the organic/industrial/whimsical 
feel of the handmade project for daughter's room.


Plus I already had the wire on hand for a different furniture project.
(Ha...Stay tuned!)


As soon as I get Emersyn's chair and ottoman reupholstered for her new reading nook, 
I'll show you the lamp in it's intended space. 
I'm so excited!


As always thanks for following 13CCF. If all goes as planned, I'll have a handkerchief dresser refinished and ready to post by next week! Wish me luck!

~Wendy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy