Thursday, October 16, 2014

Rescued Victorian Dresser Refinished in ASCP Arles

As a school based SLP, I often help students grasp the meaning of figurative language. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" is certainly a fitting idiom for this week's post on 13CCF.  My latest client, Nancy, had the good fortune and foresight to rescue a handkerchief dresser from the dump recently. What a lucky find! The dresser's finish was marred with age but drawers were in fairly good shape. The piece just needed some new hardware, a little wood to balance the legs, and of course, a fresh coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Wax to bring back its beauty.

Here's a BEFORE picture of the piece:


Here's the FINAL product after a coat of Arles chalk paint:



*****



*****



 *****



*****




*****



*****



So what'cha think?



IKR!
I love it!


The dresser looks so fresh and alive again.


Arles is one of my favorite ASCP colors.
It truly works miracles on old and tired pieces of furniture, 


I love it when my clients say,
"Just do whatever you think is best. I trust you."



For this piece I thought it was important to highlight the aged wood and detailed carvings.
I didn't want this piece to look NEW.
And I certainly didn't want it to look like it had a fresh coat of latex paint on it.


The goal was to make it look like it had been painted
a sunshine yellow 80 plus years ago by someone's great-grandmother.


(Less the lead...Ha!)


You can make that happen with chalk paint and waxes.
You can't with latex. At least I never could.


Whether this dresser is from the Victorian era of the 1800s
or a reproduction from the 1930s,
it has obviously survived the
40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and the start of a new millennium.


It's an antique now and
it'll never going to go out of style again.


Ever!


How cool is that????????


Awesome save, Nancy!



As always, thanks for reading 13CCF. If you want to bring a little sunshine to a piece of furniture in your home let me know. I'd love to help you make that happen!

~Wendy








































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy