Friday, May 2, 2014

Harp Table refinished in ASCP French Linen

This week I had the opportunity to work on an antique music table for a 35 County client. Have you ever seen a harp table before? Even in this worn state, it was a beautiful piece of furniture.


The owner wanted to have the entire table painted with ASCP French Linen. After the first coat I realized we had a small problem. The stains on the top of the table were bleeding through. Rats! Oh, well. I sanded down the areas that were bleeding through and repainted it the ASCP. Nope. Ok, no problem...I'll just "Kilz" it. What? The stains were still coming through. Well, let's try two coats of Kilz. 


Dang! This was suppose to be an easy project. LOL! Ok, time to switch gears. I stripped off all of the layers of Kilz, chalk paint, and remaining finish. Then sanded down the surface the best I could and restained the table top with Dark Walnut. Yea!

Here's the final product.


What'ch think?


I love it.

The French Linen accentuates the gorgeous details and craftsmanship of the table:


splayed legs with acanthus carvings,


brass claw feet, and raised oval tray top. 


 Seriously, they just don't make furniture like they used to.


I'm so glad those stubborn stains changed the original game plan.
It was all for the best!
The French Linen and Dark Walnut stain look amazing together.


As always, thanks for reading 13CCF. Stop back next week! I have few storage ideas to share with you.

~Wendy

1 comment:

  1. That turned out beautiful. Very unique. Piece. I've never seen anything like that before"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy