Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Mission Style Furniture Refinished in ASCP Graphite


Last June I was starting to debate the whole 'blog' thing. Should I or shouldn't I? On paper the odds were not in my favor. Let's see...I'm not a writer...not a photographer...not techy. Would it even be worth my time? Seriously. Besides, who's going to read it? And what would my husband say? (Ok scratch that. I think we all know the answer to that question...."What the heck is a blog???") 

Then out of blue my husband tells me, "There's a message on the phone for you. Someone wants some advice on refinishing a chair or something. She left a number."

That phone call was just the push I needed to pull the trigger...put myself out there...take a chance. If this blog lasts six months or six years, I will always be glad I tried. It's been a great experience.

Today I'm going to show you the end result of that phone call from last June. A local couple had recently built a new home and invited me over to give them some suggestions. The house was beautiful. It had a cozy, "modern Montana living" feel to it...beautiful woodwork, gorgeous fireplaces, high-end finishes. They had already purchased a few new pieces to furnish their new home but also wanted to reuse some of their old furniture. We decided to start with a three piece set of Mission Style furniture.

Here are a couple BEFORE pics of the two end tables. (Sorry, I forgot to get one of the coffee table.)


The golden oak had taken a turn for 'golden orange'. Other than looking a bit dated, there really wasn't anything wrong with the furniture. It was very functional...sturdy, clean lines, open storage, etc. 


The couple wanted the pieces painted black so we opted to refinish the under carriages with ASCP Graphite. Graphite is NOT a true black. However, the color deepens when it is paired with dark wax. Here are the AFTER pics... 


What do you think?


I love the deep smokey hue of Graphite. I can't wait to use it on my own coffee table in the basement;)


I'm a basket girl...seagrass, rattan, wire...love it all.



Woven baskets add texture and dimension to a any room, 


not to mention STORAGE...STORAGE...STORAGE.


I used a Dark Walnut stain and Helmsman Spar Urethane on the top surface.  


I like the way Dark Walnut tends to bring out variations in the color of oak


and the 'Spar' Urethane should provide a long lasting, durable protection. 


 Their coffee table is actually 'duh bomb'. It has open storage on the bottom...


and the whole top lifts up to serve as a desk and offer additional storage. 


IKR! How convenient would that be!!!


You can see why this family opted to give this set a make-over 
rather than buying new pieces.


Very cool!


It was a good choice!


Have a great week everyone and thanks for reading 13 County Custom Finishes!

~Wendy








3 comments:

  1. Can you tell me how you did this. I want to do this to very similar end tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,
      The table tops were stripped, sanded, restained with Dark Walnut, and given a couple coats of urethane. The bases were painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (Graphite). I used sand paper to distress the edges. Then I applied a coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax and a coat of Dark Wax. Does that help?

      Delete
  2. Hi quick question were the tops solid wood? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy