Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunburst Mirror Made from Cardstock




"Hello. My name is Wendy Sudbeck and I am addicted to sunburst mirrors."

There...I said it. I don't care who knows. I can't help myself. I love them. Why? Because they're timeless. Sunburst mirrors come in all shapes, sizes, and mediums. They take the place of artwork in your home and work with almost any design style...traditional, modern, country, eclectic, ect. 

Here are the three sunbursts I have up in my house.

Living Room

Sunroom

Basement

This week I actually added a DIYer to my collection. I've been searching for something special to put above my daughter Emersyn's headboards and finally found my inspiration from this post. The process was fairly easy and very affordable. I purchased a small 6 1/2 inch mirror from Hobby Lobby and a pack of patterned and plain cardstock paper.


My daughter's room is purple so I chose contrasting patterns (e.g. chevron, stripes, and plain) of purple, white, and natural cardstock.


I started by cutting out a sunburst template. I simply folded a 3 inch piece of cardstock in half (length wise) and made a pointy tip at one end. Done!


Then I used my template to trace and cut 24 sunbursts of varying lengths (12", 9", and 6") and laid the pattern out on the table.


When I was content with design, I used Frog Tape to adhere them to a piece of cardboard. I started with the smallest sunburst and worked my way outward in groups of four. Finally I used velcro to attach the cardboard to the back of my mirror. (Note:  If the back of your mirror is flush you could tape or hot glue the sunburst directly onto the back of the mirror and eliminate the cardboard.)

 Here's the final product...


What do you think?



Emersyn loves it so that's all that really matters...right!?!






I think it goes great with the twin seagrass headboards.




It ended up being about 27" x 27" when I was done...




which was the perfect scale for this space.




There won't be any 12 step programs in my near future. I haven't hit bottom yet. As a matter of fact, I bought two more metal sunburst mirrors in Sioux Falls over the weekend!!! Hey now...don't you judge me!

~Wendy








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input!
~Wendy